Friday 15 March 2013

Misplaced Priorities

Following a radio news report I heard today on Radio’s The Jeremy Vine Show, I feel rather saddened and despairing of our global society.

I just heard that the violin, played by the Band Master of the String Quartet that played on the deck of the stricken HMS Titanic, has just been sold for millions of pounds in an auction held 100 years after the sinking of the magnificent ship.

The unfortunate Band Master apparently strapped his beloved violin to his body, shortly before he drowned, so that they would not be parted in death. Then, 10 days after the sinking of the Titanic, the Musicians’ body was recovered, along with his precious violin. The strings of the violin were broken; it was also severely water-damaged and has remained completely unplayable ever since.

Now, I appreciate that if someone is extremely wealthy, they, of course, have the perogative to spend their money in whichever way they choose. I suppose I can also understand the satisfaction that one might derive from owning one of the most valuable and significant artefacts of such an important historic event.

However, as this particular news item has aired on such a philanthropic day as today, Red Nose Day 2013, a day on which we all strive to think of and help those less fortunate than ourselves, I , for one, would have felt very uncomfortable, had I been the buyer of this albeit historically significant violin.

Maybe it’s just me, but if I had a vast amount of disposable income to spend, I would rather spend it on trying to prevent Africa’s children from pointlessly dying of Malaria, as opposed to buying a broken musical instrument whose owner perished a century ago.

Don’t get me wrong. The untimely demise of the Titanic, on its maiden voyage, was a terrible tragedy and is close to my heart. I would never seek to undermine or belittle the importance of remembering the maritime tragedy that so cruelly took the lives of so many unfortunate souls.

However, the extortionate amount of money spent for the purpose of owning historic memorabilia would be better spent helping the living today.

But, hey, don’t quote me: this is just my arguably unrealistic view of what should be happening in an ideal world in which we all share our love and good fortune in order to save the children who are the future of this beautiful planet of ours.


Written by Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment