Friday 5 April 2013

Who ya gonna call...? YouTube?!



The majority of people I know, use YouTube as a source of entertainment. 
Funny videos of people falling over or animals peeing over spectators are common, as are music videos, interviews and  movie trailers from all of our favourite artists, and upcoming newbies on the scene.

I, however, mostly use YouTube to watch blogs, and how-to videos.
This really came into it's own last week, when my car broke down, on the school run!

Having 5 children with me at the time, and being due to start my new job that very night, I was somewhat stressed about the whole situation, when one of my Mummy Friends suggested that we could jump start my car. This seemed simple enough, however, having never, ever previously jump started a car, we were at a bit of a loss as what to do!

We found the jump leads, but then came the questions about which coloured end of them to put on what side of my cars dead battery.. YouTube to the rescue! 

Out came my trusty i-Phone, and up popped my YouTube app! After a quick search of how to 'jump start a car', my friend and I quickly found out that the red cable should be placed on the positive side of the battery and the black on the negative. Connecting the cables to my battery was easy, with both + and - signs labeled  however, my friends car had no such indicators *sigh*

I kept watching my selected video, and as luck would have it, the positive side of the battery
"Should always have something red attached to it" 
Sure enough, my friends car had a small red rubber tie around one of the cables coming from her battery, so we went for it, connecting both cars to each other.

Collectively, we had 11 children with us that day, and two complete novices managed to keep track of all of them while learning something new and jump starting a car, all without the help of an AA man! 

My friend had laughed at me before, when I had told her how much I had learnt from watching YouTube. She text me this morning to tell me that she and her husband had just finished laying their new laminate flooring all with the help of YouTube videos! 

So next time you are watching a 20 stone man dance the Harlem Shake in his underpants, or a girl crazily smearing peanut butter over her face, or even a new born panda sneezing and scaring the living daylights out of  Mumma Panda, just remember, YouTube is as informative as it is bizarre!


Written by Kerry.



No comments:

Post a Comment